12.13.2010

A Real Cigarbox Pochade

Was looking around the bedroom the other day (no bed – just a lot of stored stuff – need the room) and found a good sturdy tripod that I used to use for photo work (my new camera is smaller than a pack of cigarettes) and an empty cigar box – so – I designed a smaller paint box to use for plein air.




Here’s the look of it:


The lid will be used as the easel so I added this strong bracket to one side for support – also the bottom has been modified to fit the top of the tripod.


 
 
 
 
 
I had to cut and sand down the brushes so they’d fit. The mixing palette is a piece of Plexiglas.
 
 
Emptying the box – the wooden “C” shaped pieces insert through holes in the sides to create side boards (I borrowed that detail from one my dad used on his paint-box).
 
 
 
 
 
 

The box on the tripod with the side boards clipped on – all of it attached to the tripod.

The box fully set up and ready – the rolled up bamboo placemat becomes one of the side boards – the mixing palette the other.  The paints are stored in a small plastic divided box that fake fingernails come in - the top closes firmly and when not in use I store the box in the refrigerator.
 
 
 
 
and . . . so there it is.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Very clever! Looks like a very nice set up. Thanks for sharing. We always like new ideas. :)

curt said...

Very nice. I'm bookmarking this one, in case I finally decide to use another kind of easel. I've only used a french easel for plein air painting and know no one at all besides myself who paints outside, so I don't know what kind of easel is really best. I've looked at potache boxes online, but really haven't got a clue if they are generally better than a standard french easel.

RICHARD ROCHKOVSKY said...

Curt - i used to suffer from the same problem - what's the best equipment? i've been the coordinator of a small plein air painting group on the big island of hawaii for about 6 years or so - we paint every friday morning and i've been through and seen lots of equipment and it's all according to how you like to work and how big you want. i have two french julian 13 pounds empty pieces of furniture that i don't use - too heavy - too cumbersome to set up and i keep losing all of those cute little brass fittings in the sand. i next went to the Anderson Swivel Easel that was a vast improvement with only 8 pounds to lug around and easy and fast set up and breakdown, but there was too much storage, i just didn't need, so i built that cigar box pochade and i love it.i've set it up in a small carry bag that i grab everytime i go out the door (hawaii is a many splendoured place to paint)and sometimes stop and produce a skoil or two (sketch in oils = skoil) between errands. try painting with a minimal kit - it's less work and you can spend more time painting, and that's what it's all about.
Hope this helped.

aloha nui loa
richard

Paint the Wind

Visit the painting at my website here:  Paint the Wind