4.20.2009

Carpe Diem

Loosely translated, “seize the day”, coined by Virgil and popularized by the film Dead Poets Society with Robin Williams.

Eat the essence of the scene, digest it, and regurgitate it on the canvas. Get the essence of the thing down before/as it changes - hand only serving to keep the brush from falling onto the sand – moving quickly, not hurredly, from palette to canvas to palette and back again in a steady rhythm – using all of the skills and techniques learned after hours and hours of painting, but without thought – count your strokes if you have to, to keep that rational part of you busy while the intuitive part holds sway over the creation of something – no thought, just do. Finishing when there’s nothing left to do and not a moment too soon or longer –

no, “I’ll finish that when I get home

or, “I need to fix this part here

it’s done when it’s done. Having played a song – it’s gone and there’s no going back to fiddle with it – next time, next time you’ll remember and somehow do it differently – let the subconscious decide.

Then sit back discuss, laugh, have something to eat and drink with friends. To me, that’s the essence of Plein Air Alla Prima painting.

It’s not that I do what I preach – yet – but I have an ideal.

Carpe Diem, guys, seize the day!

richard

No comments:

Paint the Wind

Visit the painting at my website here:  Paint the Wind